Friday, July 24, 2009

Want to be Cookout Royalty? How about Queen of Beans

I started to slip on my blog posting, but I wanted to finish out the classic Great American Cookout meal with this last dish. I saved it for last not necessarily because I was saving the BEST for last, but I certainly would say this one ranks right up there. Any time there's a cookout, I'm asked to "bring those good beans". The great thing about them is that they're SO good, but yet they're SO easy to make. If you'd like to be dubbed the Bean Queen (well maybe you don't!), give 'em a try. You'll be glad you did.


One reason they might be so good is that they are definitely not meant for the vegetarians out there. This dish is a meat eater's delight! Start by frying up together 1# ground beef and 1/2# bacon that's been cut into pieces. By cooking together, the bacon gets cooked but not crispy.



In a casserole or oven-proof dish put the cooked meat and add the beans. I use 2 cans of pork & beans including the liquid. Then I use 3 other varieties, usually butter beans, black beans, and kidney beans -- but you need to drain the liquid from these cans before adding them.



The only other ingredients you need are 1 C. ketchup and 1/2 C. brown sugar. Mix all the ingredients together. Cover and bake in 325 oven for at least one hour, but longer is okay too.



BE CAREFUL! They will be extremely hot when they first come out of the oven. But they are well worth the wait. And don't be surprised if you become known as the Queen of Beans!

No comments: